Thursday, September 4, 2025

Driverless Cars

Aa friend of Sawako's picked us up to go for a hike in his new Tesla car.  Even though I am not a fan of the Tesla driverless technology (I think they should use more than just cameras), it really worked well.  My guess is because of the amount of data they are collecting.


The friend said he still keeps his hands by the steering wheel, but he can go door to door between two locations several hundred miles apart with just 1 or 2 times where he has to modify what the car wants to do.  In fact, he says the car is overall a better driver than he is.  No California stops, always uses the blinkers, etc.  I did like the feedback that the car provides on the big screen so you can see what it is 'thinking' and fix things before they get bad.


So I guess this is the future.  Either the Waymo with lots of sensors, but not as much local data or the Tesla with not as many sensors but lots of local data.  The downside to either of these is if you are in an area where the car does not have much data, it is more likely to make mistakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment