Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Shikoku Pilgrimage Gear IV

So what's working and not working with my gear. Working out well are:

  • Gossamer Gear Mariposa backpack: easy access to water and the extra space has been nice.
  • Gossamer Gear Vagabond day pack: this has been great because the Hyperlite camera pod can attach to it so when we do day excursions, I don't have to carry the big backpack.
  • Gerber multi-tool: I have used it more than expected, especially the scissors. Remember that Japan has very strict knife laws, blades no more than 6cm (about 2.3in) long. The Gerber was one of the few multi-tools that had a small blade.
  • Altra shoes: they don't slip and are very comfortable with their large toe box 
  • Hyperlite camera pod: works very well. I can pull out the camera in seconds to get the photo. Faster than I can get my phone out of my pocket.
What didn't work was the poncho. I tested it before I left and it worked fine in 50 degree F. Seattle weather, but I found that here in 60-70 degree and high humidity wearing it is just like being in a sauna.

So a host a few days ago said I could have one of his umbrellas and I used it today. Worked out sooooo much better. I have it tied to my pack so I have both hands free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment