So our 14 year old side by side Fridge/Freezer started leaking water.
When I researched this I found out that all their models have a design flaw that pretty much guarantees this will happen. The way the freezer part works is that it has a defrost cycle that runs about every 12 hours to stop frost build up on the inside heat exchanger. The water drips into a small drain pan and then through a hose to a larger drain pan underneath the fridge where it evaporates into the air. The problem is that the hose freezes up so then the water builds up and flows into the bottom of the freezer where it melts during the defrost cycle and leaks onto your floor.
The solution was pretty easy. Get a steamer and blow hot steam into the hose until it is clear.
To keep it from happening again, I wrapped a small wire around the heating element and poked it down into the drain hose. This should warm up the water in the drain just enough to keep it from freezing.
Learn something new each day.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment