Before I left Japan, I replaced my end of life Pixel 6 with an Oppo Find N6 foldable phone.
It comes with a bluetooth stylus that fits into the back case. Overall, I like it. It is much faster and some of the Oppo apps such as the photo app work better for me than the Google photo's app. When folded out, it is like a small tablet. They did an incredible job with the glass and you really cannot see where it bends when opened up.Oppo did a good job with their version of Android called ColorOS to support the table mode with split and floating windows (split window shown) that just work as expected. This is a global phone, not one made specially for the US market, but works fine on T-Mobile in the US. Only strange thing is that even though it has 2 physical SIM slots, the T-Mobile sim only works correctly in one of the slots. If I put the sim in the other slot, phone calls do not work.
A downside is that it's translation capabilities are a bit less than the Pixel 6. On the Pixel I translation was integrated with apps like Line so it was easy to communicate with my Japanese mother-in-law - she wrote Japanese and I wrote English but we each were read in our respective language. With the N6, I have to cut and paste between Google Translate. Also it does not have full on device translation like the newest phones from Apple, Google, or Samsung so no live translation of phone calls for example. I can still translate text offline just like my Pixel 6 which is my primary translator use.
The only other issue is that case options are very limited. I am using the options that came with it as there are no aftermarket options that support the stylus (which I like). Hopefully in a few months, some vendors will start producing cases for the phone.
Now to see how well it holds up to my usage patterns :).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment